Thursday, October 27, 2011

A little more about me

From 2004-11 I was the BBA Program Faculty Director. In the summer of 2011 I was assigned the role of BIT Area Chair. This has changed my life quite considerably, allowing me to have time during the day to think about (and actually do!) my research. Well, during parts of the year, anyway. This Winter semester (that's from January to April for those of you outside of the UM community) I will be teaching 2.5 classes so that time will basically be hijacked for a few months; however, for the rest of the year I should be relatively good to go.

That’s a long way of describing why I have started this blog. You can see from my profile on this blog a little bit (ha!) about what types of research I am interested in but here’s another take on it:

I am intrigued by the use of a computer as a tool for increasing personal productivity, improving decision making, and improving communication.

This view of IT research reflects my training (at Wharton’s OPIM department) in decision sciences. It has more of a personal than organizational bent.

This led me to teach classes in programming, Excel, and Web development. This has also led me to use simulation and complex systems to research a variety of areas. In the past I also developed both a tool to support Coast Guard personnel in the process of deploying cutters, and a communication language to support businesses in their routine message-passing activities.

You will also read snippets reflecting my love of technology and reading. I have quite the reading list right now and I plan on using this space to share some of my thoughts about both the good and the bad of what I read.

I hope you will join me on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment